The educators at Springfield Public Schools have another grant opportunity to support their students, named the Social Emotional Learning Fund (SELF) grant. SELF Grant Application Packet 2017-18 is available now. Grants are available of up to $1,000. Applications are due October 1, 2017. Grants will be awarded during our grant givers tour on November 16. All applicants will be notified of grant status by November 30.
The Springfield Education Foundation Fund for Social-Emotional Learning (SEF/SEL) was established by a gift from Stan and Cathy Paine, both long-time administrators in the Springfield School District. Stan served as principal of three Springfield Schools (Maple, Centennial & Ridgeview) for a total of 13 years. Cathy served as a school psychologist and as special education coordinator for a total of 30 years of service in the Springfield School District.
The focus of this fund was chosen because it represents Stan & Cathy’s common interest and passion in children’s positive social development, physical safety and emotional well-being in school settings. Social and emotional learning (SEL) “is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.”
- All projects must receive pre-approval by a supervisor or principal.
- Only one proposal per educator will be considered.
- Proposals are due October 1, 2017 by 5:00 pm. Late submittals will not be considered.
- Awarded funds may only be applied to the project described in the proposal.
- Funds must be spent within the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Grants are awarded once per year. The number and amount will depend on available funds.
- When creating your budget, please research costs and cite estimate sources.
Submitting your application
- All proposals are due by October 1st by 5:00 p.m.
- Only one application per applicant will be considered.
- Do not include additional documents.
- Late submittals will not be considered for funding.
- DO NOT IDENTIFY participating SPS staff, SPS schools, or partnering organizations in your Narrative or Budget. Applications with names will be INELIGIBLE for funding.
- Grants are scored by SEF and SPS representatives and community volunteers who may be familiar with you and your school. In an effort to reduce bias, please do not identify yourself, your school or project partners by name. Your proposal will receive an identifying number referenced throughout review. Applications that include specific employee or school names will not be considered.
- Each application will receive a cumulative numerical score and those with highest scores will receive funding priority.
Responsibilities of Grant Recipients
- Agree to share project information at an SEF event or meeting.
- Return the required project evaluation by June 30.
- Equipment purchased with SEF grant funds is considered property of Springfield Public Schools. Please notify SEF if you plan to move and take your equipment to another building.
- Projects and evaluations must be completed before applicants can apply for a future grant.
Questions? Contact Springfield Education Foundation 541-726-3242, or firstname.lastname@example.org.