Springfield Education Foundation’s Innovative Educator Grants are designed to encourage, facilitate, recognize and reward innovative and creative teaching in support of Springfield School District’s vision to “Graduate every student prepared for a bright and successful future”.
This year’s competitive, one-time grants of up to $5,000 are available to any Springfield Public School (SPS) employee or SPS charter school employees engaged in efforts to further student excellence. Grants will be awarded to projects that best align with Springfield Education Foundation (SEF) efforts to:
- Boost early literacy
- Increase attendance
- Provide integrated learning experiences
- Expand classroom, student, and/or school participation
- Promote career and college connections
- Improve graduation rates
Individuals or collaborative SPS staff teams involved in the instruction of students or related support services are eligible to apply.
Allowable Grant Expenses
- Classroom materials and supplies
- Technical Equipment: Peripheral devices used to increase student engagement such as robotics, digital cameras, probeware, heart monitors, Raspberry Pi, etc.*
- Field trips and classroom travel
- School garden related structures
- Guest speaker / performer fees and travel
- Project related food and supplies
- Educator training and compensation
- Computer software
Unallowable Grant Expenses
- Building maintenance or construction costs (other than school garden structures)
- SPS 2016 Bond funded technology including Laptop and desktop computers (Mac, Windows, Chrome OS) and Tablet devices*
*Note: Please discuss your computer and tablet device needs with your school principal so that they can be included in a School Innovation Proposal. This year’s SEF grants are meant to enhance bond funded technology to help increase student engagement. Grant funding is not currently available to help educators reach a 1 student to 1 computer ratio.
- All projects must receive pre-approval by a supervisor or principal
- Only one proposal per project will be considered
- Proposals are due October 1, 2016 by 5:00 pm. Late submittals will not be considered
- Awarded funds may only be applied to the project described in the proposal
- Funds must be spent within the 2016-2017 academic year
- Grants are awarded once per year. The number and amount will depend on available funds.
- When creating your budget, please research costs and cite estimate sources. Remember, awards starting at $250 minimum and up to $5,000 maximum will be available.
Submitting your application
- All proposals are due by Saturday, October 1st by 5:00 p.m.
- Do not include additional documents, photos, or audio-visual materials
- Late submittals will not be considered
- Do not identify participating SPS staff or school by names. These grant applications with this information will be considered ineligible for funding.
- Awards will be announced by November 30, 2016
- Grants are scored by SEF and SPS representatives and community volunteers who may be familiar with you and your school. In an effort to reduce bias, please do not identify yourself, your school or project partners by name. Your proposal will receive an identifying number referenced throughout review. Applications that include specific employee or school names will not be considered.
- Each application will receive a cumulative numerical score and those with highest scores will receive funding priority
- All applicants will receive notice of award status by November 30
- Agree to share project information at an SEF event or meeting
- Return the required project evaluation by June 30
- Equipment purchased with SEF grant funds is considered property of Springfield Public Schools. Please notify SEF if you plan to move and take your equipment to another building.
- Projects and evaluations must be completed before applicants can apply for a future grant
SPS Grant Writing Workshops
Three SEF Grant Writing Workshops are offered for your convenience. The same material is explained in each. Seasoned and novice grant writers are encouraged to attend. Attendance is optional but encouraged for those seeking grant funding.
Monday July, 11, 2016 #1, 4:00-5:00 pm SPS Board Room
Tuesday, August 16, 2016 #2 9:00-10:00 pm SPS Admin Building: 1st Floor Conference Room
Monday Sept 12, 2016 #3 4:00-5:00 pm SPS Board Room
Contact Ronnel, 541-726-3242 or firstname.lastname@example.org to pre-register.
July 1, 2016 SEF Innovative Education Grant applications available online
October 1, 2016 by 5:00 pm Grants Due
November 15-30 Funding Announcements
June 30, 2017 Final Grant Evaluations Due
Questions? Contact Springfield Education Foundation 541-726-3242, or email@example.com.