The Springfield Education Foundation (SEF) is again offering Cutting Edge Grants, providing our students with continued access to quality, up-to-date tools, technology, and equipment for learning. These grants will be awarded, if funds are available, for items such as software upgrades, science supplies, books, music and art supplies.
Cutting Edge Grant awards of up to $500 are available to individual educators. The number of grants will depend upon the number that meet the criteria and available SEF funds.
- Individuals employed by Springfield Public Schools (SPS) who are involved in the instruction of students or related support services benefiting students.
- Projects must be designed to begin during the 2013-2014 school year and meet the selection criteria.
- Please note that only one Innovative Educator and/or Cutting Edge grant application per project will be considered.
- The inadequacy of current equipment/tools due to age or short supplies;
- The connection between learning, participation and the uses of the equipment/tool; and
- The number of students impacted.
Submitting Your Application
Please read Tips for a Successful Application prior to writing your grant.
Please adhere to deadlines; late forms will result in disqualification.
- The Online Cutting Edge Grant Application Form and any associated materials are due by 5 pm, Monday, October 14, 2013.
The Primary Applicant Information submitted at the end of the application is not shared with the grant reviewers. Do not include the name of your school, educator name(s) or any other identifying information elsewhere in this application. Applications with this information will not be reviewed.
- Administrator approval for all applications is required. This written communication shows that your administrator approves your project. To indicate approval he or she needs to submit the Administrator Endorsement form in hard copy form to the Springfield Education Foundation office (interoffice district mail can be used) by 5 pm, Friday, October 18, 2013.
Due to the large number of applicants, incomplete grant applications or those not following specified guidelines will be disqualified (e.g., late Administrator Recommendation Forms, inclusion of identifying information, request for funds ineligible items).
- Applications will be reviewed, scored with the Reviewer Score Sheet, and awarded by the Grant Application Review Committee made up of the following members:
- Members of SEF board of directors.
- Parent representative appointed by the SEF Board of Directors.
- District representative selected by the SEF Innovative Educator Committee.
- Others as determined by the SEF Board of Directors.
- Applicants will be notified of decisions by December 2, 2013.
To ensure unbiased grant evaluations, reviewers will not see the school, educator name(s), or any identifying information. Projects, identified only by an ID number, will be scored by each committee member and chosen based on accumulated score and funds available.
Responsibilities of Grant Recipients
- Use of the grant for the purposes intended.
- Funds must be expended by the end of the school year of the grant award.
- An evaluation must be provided by June 30, 2014. Use the form included in this packet.
- The equipment purchased with these grant funds is considered property of SPS.
- Participate in the grant showcase scheduled for May 13, 2014.
- When creating your budget, research carefully and be realistic. Small grants are just as likely to be awarded as large grants. Include supporting bids for purchases.
- Keep your application to one page or less. Please do not include additional documents or audio-visual materials.
- Please use the Purchasing Procedures, Items, and Price Estimates document for information about technology related resources. To save resources, most technology will be purchased through the school district and Technology Services.